Sunday, March 21, 2010

the love song of l. car and sarawr

In the ongoing chronicles of my little car and me: today was almost it for us. I'm divorcing my car. I'm serious. I can't love it well enough and it can't protect me. This is no semi-conservative, biblically based relationship--I've learned that much from church the last five weeks.

Here's the thing. I'm driving it illegally (traffic laws are for the man) (just kidding). It didn't pass inspection recently and even more recently I got pulled over for the first time ever and was ticketed for being expired. There are so many things wrong with it and it's going to cost so much to fix that I figured, if I get the Link job and have to get rid of it anyway, that it may not even be worth doing anything but getting rid of it. Among the more notable problems are the fact that my steering tends to quit working while I'm driving and that it pulls badly to the left. Turns out I have a bad tire! Explains the pulling. That said, I'm riding my bike more, driving little car as infrequently as I can and biding my time.

However, today I babysat for two lovely kids and I needed my car to get across town. About two miles away, big old noise and big old jerk to the left and then flap flap flap--I realize I have had a blow out. (I'm tense shifting again, guys.) Thankfully, I was able to get to a parking lot, didn't lose control of my car, none of that. And after my roommates brought me one of their cars, the dad of the kids I was babysitting helped me put the spare on.

So I'm hesitant at this point. I love my little car. Break up? I don't know if I can go through with it. And after all, even in all the mess of it, we made it through together today. One day at a time? Building trust, communicating? In it for the long drive? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment