Wednesday, October 12, 2011

multi ani inainte


I had a whole twenty three things I haven't done yet but would love to do one day post planned for my birthday last month, but never really got around to finishing it. There's a list with five things hanging out somewhere in my drafts here that I'm hoping to add to, with time.

Just about thirteen months ago now, someone wished me happy birthday and they said, just think, next birthday you'll be celebrating in Romania. And I hoped, I really hoped so, but I wasn't sure. This birthday I was in the Bucegi mountains with forty students from all over this country singing La Multi Ani, celebrating it with the other four people who had birthdays that week. And in that week we ate a fish somebody caught with their hands in a river, told jokes about people from Oltenia (okay, I just listened), watched Jupiter rise above the mountain, prayed together, laughed at one skinny white Romanian do a spot-on impression of Michael Jackson ("What kind of music do you like?" "Well, Christian music... and Michael Jackson! I do impressions in my spare time!") and wondered at a whole lot of really wonderful things going on in our cities, at our faculties.

(And then I got to do it again with one baller family in Bucuresti :))

Here's a post to say: look how God answers prayers and look at how it is different than I thought it would, look how good a thing it was. We have a God who is great, my friends.

Below: three of us with birthdays. And cake, really good cake.


2 comments:

  1. It's nice to know that there are still people who feel strongly about God (in a positive way). Maybe I've been feeling alone in this sense because where I live, believing in God makes you the bad guy (ironic, huh?). Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks :) and that sucks, that's hard :/ you're a student, right? you should look for some kind of christian student group--i don't know what i would have done in college without intervarsity. God did some crazy/amazing things in my life through it and the people there.

    ReplyDelete