Wednesday, March 11, 2009

slumdog millionaire

Just saw Slumdog Millionaire. I've been wanting to see it since January when I watched the SAG awards. And let me tell you, it blew me away. It reminded me a bit of The Kite Runner, which also blew me away, but for different reasons.

In the beginning of the movie, the first half hour or forty five minutes or so, I was just completely overwhelmed. I don't even know where to begin to start with that, except that I remember thinking that there is nothing I can do. I'm talking about the slums, the way people live, the things that happen. And how real it is, how huge. And there is nothing I can do. I mean that my immediate reaction was to want to do something, somehow something, and of course I didn't know what, but just that urgency, that want for something good for them. I don't know what to write here. It's so big.

And so that sort of thing--the same true for The Kite Runner--it makes me sad, but something in me moves, and so it's beautiful.

On another note, it was a beautiful love story. It reminds me of something I can't quite place, but I know that it's true that people really do love each other that way, and that it grows boys into men. And that in it, we bloom. I've seen it--it isn't just a movie. It's real, and it's true. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment