Saturday, April 28, 2012

stormy night

I woke up the other night, heart beating wildly, the first nightmare I've had in recent memory. I'd fallen asleep what didn't feel like long before, hard rain and praying, telling God how much I love storms and mountains and the sea, the bigness and wildness of it all.

I was aggravated that I'd had the dream, frustrated--these words fit perfectly. And to my surprise, as I realized when I thought about it all the next morning, I wasn't afraid. I had been while dreaming, of course, but it didn't cross over into being awake. And for that I praise God, for the marvelous work he has done in my life. I read these verses that next morning, and how true they are (from Psalm 27):

"The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?"

At some point I heard that it was still raining and so I thanked God for the rain, for the sound of it, and fell back asleep. And so I fell asleep like I did the first time, thanking God for the weather, for his mighty power we see in the way the ocean churns up a vast hurricane, how the sun comes up and the wonder of a dawn, how it 'takes the earth by the edges and shakes the wicked out of it*'--and it does this every single morning, has for millions or billions of mornings. God continually astonishes me.



*If you're wondering, this is from Job 38:12-13. God is legit a poet.

No comments:

Post a Comment