Wednesday, April 18, 2012

rain

It's been raining all week, the slow steady kind that never seems to get anywhere. It just falls, blurring up the edges of everything. None of the heavy summer downpours of Wilmington, none of the brief violence of the weather in the humid sub-tropic. I miss the way it carries you places, the way you can lean into it when there are no words. It changes fast there, ushering in the new as quickly as it's carried off the old.

I was lying on my bed earlier today, praying and listening. These days there's not much to say, whether here on the blog or elsewhere. But it's good to be quiet, to be still before my God. I thought about rain, could see it falling down on me, imagine hills bare except for a few trees. The Lord is sending rain. And also, that I am to keep watering. There's so much more to it and it's all so complicated, but I am thankful for a God who is there, who is constant and steady, unchanging. That his provision is good, gives life to the dry hills so that they no longer mourn.

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants." Deuteronomy 32:2

"Jesus answered, 'Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment