Sunday, June 6, 2010

very barious, berry various

A lot of thoughts bouncing around in my head tonight. I read for a while on Jesus for President last night and I'm nearly finished and the book has been fascinating. I definitely recommend it. It's one of those books that might make you really, really angry or that you might think is incredible, particularly depending on how you feel about the military. (Yo Jamie, read this book, seriously.) If nothing else at all it'll get you thinking about a lot of different things, about what Jesus informing our politics might look like. It talks a lot about peace and turning the other cheek (or doing weird things like drawing in the dirt like Jesus and surprising people) and how violence always begets violence. Not long after I put the book down last night I found this video. I don't want to ruin it, but guy gets aggressive toward a girl, another guy nips it in the bud pretty quickly, and I won't say how but it involves pants. And is hilarious. I wonder what Mr. Claiborne would think?

So speaking of books, I got two yesterday. I'm trying to give away and otherwise consolidate all the stuff I have, including the many, many books I have (that I sadly can't bring all of with me) so I felt kind of guilty about buying them. One of them was Velvet Elvis--it's been recommended to me several times recently. I've jumped on the bandwagon it seems like, even though I've always felt kind of suspicious of Rob Bell (it's all those staccato sentences, says the girl with the penchant for run-ons). I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately though so if anyone has any good fiction recommendations I'd love to hear!

What else? I read this today: "'You can't take things too seriously' has two meanings." I don't really have anything to add to it, but I did really like it.

It's been a quiet, totally in my head kind of day. I copied down Isaiah 43 in Romanian the other day because it's one of my favorite parts of the whole Bible and I figured practicing reading it out loud might help a little bit. Unless I practice bad pronunciation. Well, I have some songs on youtube I've been listening to and every once in a while there's the Romanian church streaming from Raleigh. I can't remember if I've written about this or not, but I figure with the grammar as complicated as it is, there's little I can really do about putting sentences together until I get over there and can hear it all the time. But this helps vocab, helps get my mouth used to finding where the sounds go. The really funky sound that I couldn't make at all before (â, î, same sound, different letters) that I won’t even begin to try to describe has grown on me in both the figurative and literal sense—it feels much more natural than before. Anyway, learning this language and pronouncing it well is going to be a crazy tough amazing adventure, but I had a lot of fun with it today.

And to tie up the loose ends with a related tangent, I’m happy to report that support raising is going well. It’s going slowly, as far as I can tell, but it’s going. Financially at about six percent pledged right now which sounds small but feels huge. For perspective, over the course of a year it’s already more than I was able to raise last time. It may be further along, too, since unless I get the little response cards back I have no idea what’s going into my account, so we’ll see once I start calling people. Anyway, I don’t want to write too much on here about all this but I’m praying it up for sure. And I’ll keep a periodic update on here until I’m at 100%. But if you know anybody who’d be interested or you are, let me know and I’d love to talk. I think my email’s on here, but if not, sara.hedgecock [at] gmail [dot] com.

Aaaand, not sure how to end this one, so happy Saturday! (The word Saturday looks so weird if you think about it, it’s because of the u… just noticing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment