Wednesday, February 18, 2009

quote-of-the-day

"People need to see that, far from being an obstacle, the world's diversity of languages, religions and traditions is a great treasure, affording us precious opportunities to recognize ourselves in others."
--Youssou N'Dour

Normally I don't comment on these, but this time I'm going to for two reasons.

First, it reminds me a bit of the COEXIST bumper stickers, and I have very mixed feelings about those. I mean, I really do wish we could all live together and be all right. That, for example, Israel and Palestine would just stop fighting, regardless of who I or they or whoever believes is right, that they would quit killing each other over it. But I don't know enough about that to say any more, so what I mean is that--yes, I wish we could coexist, I do. But I think the bumper stickers also promote a sort of "each person's truth is his own" kind of thing, and I don't believe that.

But second, apart from that, I fully agree with that quote, and I love it. It's true, and it says very simply and concisely what I'm always trying to get at but can't. That our differences are beautiful and exciting, and that there's also some of the same in everyone, and I think seeing both at the same time is where the best of it is at.

No comments:

Post a Comment